Re: [ANNOUNCE] mutt 1.5.16 released

On Sun, Jun 17, 2007 at 05:13:27AM +0200, Vincent Lefevre wrote:
> > > Also the .mailcap (to view attachments with external tools) also needs
> > > programming knowledge.
> >
> > No it doesn't.  My mailcap has no code in it whatsoever.  Just simple
> > command lines (which is not code).  Typing the name of a program with
> > arguments is not the same as writing code.
>
> You don't know what you're talking about. This simply doesn't work.

You're probably right.  I've only been using mailcap for about 15
years... I probably have no idea what I'm talking about.

FWIW, my mailcap consists of exactly this:

  image/*; gthumb %s
  application/msword; ooffice %s
  application/pdf; evince %s
  application/postscript ; evince %s
  text/html; /usr/bin/htmlview %s ; copiousoutput

No code at all, unless you consider the parameter substitution to be
code... which I don't.  Just simple commands in simple config lines,
none of which I actually wrote myself.  But this is more than
sufficient to meet my needs for viewing attachments.

> I'd like to see your mailcap for viewing a PDF under Mac OS X...

Yeah, I don't use OS X.  My PDF config is above though.

> > Besides which, even if it were necessary, Unix machines normally have
> > system administrators, especially in places where the end users are
> > neither system admins nor programmers.  All that is needed is a
> > sysadmin with half a clue to create a system mailcap that works for
> > everyone.
>
> So, the sysadmin could also solve the problem with vi...

He could, but he shouldn't have to.  If the problem needs solving,
that's Mutt's job.  A lot of people reading mail on a Unix system are
people who are just starting out with Linux... they have an
inclination to tinker but still they are not programmers, and again,
regardless of whether they are capable or not, it should never be the
user's job to fix flaws in his mail client...  that's the job of the
application developer.  Mutt's designed to work with vi on Unix
systems.. if it can't deal with the stock vi on some systems without
falsely reporting the editor failed, that seems obviously to be a flaw
to me.

> You're really stupid to write that.

That at least is probably true.  There are certainly better ways for
me to be spending my time than arguing with you about this.

-=-=-=-=-