Re: [ANNOUNCE] mutt 1.5.16 released

On Sun, Jun 17, 2007 at 12:09:04AM +0200, Vincent Lefevre wrote:
> On 2007-06-16 16:58:24 -0400, Derek Martin wrote:
> > One may have many reasons to learn to use vi, whereas one may have no
> > reason to learn to write shell scripts, or any other programming
> > language.  Programming should *NEVER, EVER, EVER* be a requirement to
> > make Mutt (or any other user application) behave sanely.
>
> Unfortunately this was already the case: one *needs* to write a wrapper
> to avoid invalid sequences or unprintable characters to be given to the
> editor. And this is much more complicated than writing a script to set
> the exit code to 0.

I have no idea what you're talking about.  I have been using Mutt for
8 years, on 3 different operating systems, and have never needed such
a wrapper script.  I have written (partial) messages in 5 languages
(English, French, Korean, Japanese, and Chinese), and can read
messages in any language that my system has support for.

I do not pretend to be fluent in any of those languages other than
English (though my Korean isn't bad) But I have written phrases in
all of those languages in my e-mails, without resorting to any wrapper
script.

> Also the .mailcap (to view attachments with external tools) also needs
> programming knowledge.

No it doesn't.  My mailcap has no code in it whatsoever.  Just simple
command lines (which is not code).  Typing the name of a program with
arguments is not the same as writing code.

Besides which, even if it were necessary, Unix machines normally have
system administrators, especially in places where the end users are
neither system admins nor programmers.  All that is needed is a
sysadmin with half a clue to create a system mailcap that works for
everyone.

It's really quite remarkable, but virtually everything you have said
in the ten messages you've written in this thread since I've been
paying attention has been false. What wasn't was mostly irrelevant,
and some of it was both.

-=-=-=-=-