Re: [ANNOUNCE] mutt 1.5.16 released

On Wednesday, June 13 at 06:03 PM, quoth Jean-Pierre Radley:
Under Posix 2004 rules, I'm not sure what exit status vi will present, but the vi on all variants of Unix from SCO, as well as the vi on Solaris 10, adhere to the Posix 2001 standard, which includes in the clause 'consequences of errors' "... or when an error is detected that is a consequence of data (not) present in the file, ..." and "ex/vi shall terminate with a nonzero exit status."

Huh. I guess that's a matter of interpretation. I don't view a failed search or an out-of-bound line move as *errors*, but you're right, Solaris vi does do that (vim, of course, does not). That's pretty strange... I guess that means `vi && make` doesn't work like you'd expect on these systems. Then again, what is an error in an interactive program?

Now, of course, the idea is to detect whether something went really wrong with your editor, such as the editor didn't actually save and quit like it was supposed to, or you wrapped your editor in a script that bombed out. Perhaps the thing to do is only pause and display a warning if there was anything printed to stderr?

What I suggested is to revert this change:

(15f8a55220a7) ..... * curs_lib.c: Make mutt_edit_file display error if editor return is non-zero. (closes #1638)

Do you have any suggested alternative solution for the problem reported in that bugreport? http://dev.mutt.org/trac/ticket/1638

~Kyle
--
One of the world's greatest problems is the impossibility of any person searching for the truth on any subject when they believe they already have it.
                                                        -- Dave Wilbur