Re: What's needed for mutt 1.6?

Hi,

* Brendan Cully [07-02-28 14:13:53 -0800] wrote:

We just need to make sure that eg asciidoc does what mutt needs. No
more than that, I think.

ACK.

But first, I think we need a consensus what mutt actually needs. Even with asciidoc, for pretty single/chunked documents I think we'd have to rely on the DocBook toolchain anyway.

As a start, I give just two examples of what I think the manual needs.

1) We need an index. I see myself often opening the manual in vim, going back to the end and searching backwards for a varname to find the definition in the reference. When I have a terminal open I even mostly go with init.h since it so much easier to find something than in the manual.

2) Related to 1), I think we need custom macros (asciidoc or DocBook), to semantically identify certain things and always have the same layout. For example, when referencing $pgp_mime_signature_description, we now have to write:

  <link
linkend="pgp-mime-signature-description">&dollar;pgp&lowbar;mime&lowbar;signature&lowbar;description</link>

I you ask me, this is totally insane.

I am open to any kind of solution with which we can simply say 'I want to refer to variable $foo"' and that's it.

For DocBook, I've already some results adding an intermediate XML layer which can contain DocBook already so we don't have to reinvent everything from scratch.

Some reasoning:

<http://user.cs.tu-berlin.de/~pdmef/mutt/patches/patch-1.5.14cvs.pdmef.manualng.1.txt>

The patch:

<http://user.cs.tu-berlin.de/~pdmef/mutt/patches/patch-1.5.14cvs.pdmef.manualng.1.diff>

I can also put few my asciidoc results somewhere if someone is interested...

  bye, Rocco
--
:wq!