Re: Attachment counting feature at risk.

Hi,

* Oswald Buddenhagen [06-04-30 19:20:56 +0200] wrote:
On Sat, Apr 29, 2006 at 07:33:29PM +0000, Rocco Rutte wrote:
In order to provide this information, mutt needs to fully MIME-parse
all messages affected first.

This can slow down operation especially for remote mail folders such
as IMAP because all messages have to be downloaded first regardless
whether the user really wants to view them or not.

just for clarification ... this is not a problem of imap, but of mutt's
inefficient use of it: imap provides FETCH of BODYSTRUCTURE (or some
similar name), so the whole parsing can be done by the server.

The name is correct. Still the problem remains for all local folders and POP (though I'm not sure how many people still really rely on it). But the description I did isn't really verbose nor very good either. It was just done ad-hoc to at least have some documentation (i.e. better than nothing). If someone comes up with a better idea...

of course
that won't work for encrypted messages, but i think i heard that the
feature currently doesn't work in that case anyway.

Correct.

  bye, Rocco
--
:wq!