Re: mutt/1296: iso date/time format by default

On Wed, Sep 28, 2005 at 07:20:36PM +0200, Rado S wrote:
> The month-format in attribution is critical because of localized
> month names, so I see the point of having neutral numbers, but most
> month names are pretty similar in most languages.

Oh yeah, meant to comment about this last bit...  This is a very
Euro-centric viewpoint, and western European at that.  Most Asian
people, for example, write the date as a series of numbers with a
chinese character (or, in the case of Korean, with the hangeul for the
word that was once written as a Chinese character).  For example, in
Korean, today's date is:

  2005년 9월 28일.

That is, the month of September doesn't have a name, as such; it is
written AND spoken as the equivalent of "9 month" in most of the major
Asian languages.

As for the languages of the middle east, I don't speak any of them
myself, but I'd venture a guess that the names for the months in those
languages is quite different than most Western European languages.
Ditto for the slavic languages of eastern Europe.

Still, formatting according to locale settings ought to take care of
that issue, I do believe.

-=-=-=-=-