Re: another silly question

On 2005-05-05 13:11:17 -0500, David Champion wrote:
> In my experience that's not true.  Thousands of my users use at least
> two mail applications.  We've counted.  We've made charts, tables, and
> graphs.

Those who use Mutt here do not use other MUAs.

> Of those mailers, only Mutt understands Maildir.  Virtually
> everything understands mbox.

AFAIK, not mairix (or has this changed?).

> When people leave the University, many take their e-mail with them.
> It needs to be in a portable format, unless they know what they're
> doing.

If need be, Mutt can convert a maildir mailbox to a mbox mailbox by
copying messages.

> Maildir provides better resilience under NFS, but how many people
> really encounter NFS problems with their mail?

Even if not many users have encountered mailbox corruption, this is
still more annoying than having to look for a converter for instance.

> What's actually *wrong* with mbox as a default, other than that it's
> not your preference?

I just suggested the change. One may also wonder if there should be
a default or if the user should read some documentation about the
various formats and the possible problems before choosing...