Re: another silly question

On Thu, May 05, 2005 at 01:29:05PM +0200, Vincent Lefevre wrote:
> > > Why would this make Mutt more broadly usable?
> >
> > Because the default mail application available on most Unix systems
> > often supports mbox, but not maildir.
>
> This is not a problem, as mailboxes created by Mutt (e.g. for postpone
> or user archives) will normally be read only by Mutt. Even if maildir
> is the default, Mutt can still work with mbox mailboxes created at
> system level (incoming mailboxes) for instance.

No, you're missing the point.  It IS a problem, if the user (or other
users reading mail for a group account) don't/can't use mutt for some
reason, or if the partition where mutt lives can't be mounted but you
still need to read mail...  I have personally run into such situations
in the past.

You can go ahead and make arguments that things should be done
differently in such environments, and I'd probably agree...  But life
in the real world doesn't usually work that way and YOU don't get to
make those decisions (and unfortunately, often I don't either).

-=-=-=-=-