Re: Maildir header cache now supports imap, too

On 2004-08-06 11:36:15 +0200, Marco d'Itri wrote:

>> I wrote a little C programm which opened a gdbm database rw.
>> Than I tried to open the same database via NFS from another
>> machine and of course from the same machine. However gdbm
>> handeld the locking graceful

> So you did something really stupid. It's well known that Berkeley DB
> does not support concurrent access over NFS, but this does not make it
> less robust than gdbm.

And there we are in the middle of the reasons why I don't like the
*maildir* header caching idea: Maildir is designed to be an NFS-safe
mail folder format which actually works without explicit locking
mechanisms.  Adding database files that require explicit locking
defeats this (big!) advantage of maildir.

--
Thomas Roessler · Personal soap box at <http://log.does-not-exist.org/>.