Re: [At-Large] Fwd: ALAC Draft Statement :: Domain Monetization

It is not a domain name that does not solve that cause harm, it is an unused domain name that solves, cf verisign solving any domain names, just to tell people to register it...

On 4/10/07, Thomas Roessler <roessler@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 2007-04-10 23:19:35 +1200, Franck Martin wrote:

>  I'm worried we will end up in the same situation as SPAM... It
>  will be too late to do anything meaningful...

Well, with spam it was visible pretty early on to whose detriment
things were; all you had to consider was a bit of scaling up.  I
can't tell the obvious detriment out of domain monetization, or more
precisely, I can't tell an obvious detriment that couldn't be
handled by increasing the supply.

>  May be the requirement that DNS/Web page should be up for each
>  domain, should no exists.

Whoah.  The Web, as important as it is (and I work for that guy...),
is just one service that runs over the Internet and uses DNS.  There
are many uses for DNS that have nothing to do with a web page.

And I do not understand how a domain name that does not resolve
causes harm.

> May be domain monetisation should be recognised and that you
> could reserve a domain under this scheme, where the DNS would
> say, domain reserved to, but not used... may be it would also
> help in checking the domain validities with mail...

I don't think I understand what problem you are trying to solve.

--
Thomas Roessler   <roessler@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>