Re: [At-Large] Fwd: ALAC Draft Statement :: Domain Monetization

On 2007-04-10 23:19:35 +1200, Franck Martin wrote:

>  I'm worried we will end up in the same situation as SPAM... It
>  will be too late to do anything meaningful...

Well, with spam it was visible pretty early on to whose detriment
things were; all you had to consider was a bit of scaling up.  I
can't tell the obvious detriment out of domain monetization, or more
precisely, I can't tell an obvious detriment that couldn't be
handled by increasing the supply.

>  May be the requirement that DNS/Web page should be up for each
>  domain, should no exists.

Whoah.  The Web, as important as it is (and I work for that guy...),
is just one service that runs over the Internet and uses DNS.  There
are many uses for DNS that have nothing to do with a web page.

And I do not understand how a domain name that does not resolve
causes harm.

> May be domain monetisation should be recognised and that you
> could reserve a domain under this scheme, where the DNS would
> say, domain reserved to, but not used... may be it would also
> help in checking the domain validities with mail...

I don't think I understand what problem you are trying to solve.

--
Thomas Roessler   <roessler@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>