Re: [At-Large] Fwd: ALAC Draft Statement :: Domain Monetization

I don't have the time now for a long answer, but as far as I can see,
Domain Monetization is essentially a legal business and it is not at
all clear that regulating it is within the purview of ICANN.  That
certainly does not mean that it has (or hasn't) socially redeeming
redeeming reasons for existing. But that can be said of many thriving
businesses.

It would seem to me that if DM is to die, it will be for business
reasons and not due to regulation.

That being said, *I* find it a pain to deal with. I am tired of going
to Google or other search engines and finding that the first screen
is mostly monetization sites instead of real meat. Perhaps one day
this kind of consumer discontent will force some action on the part
of the business community. But as long as people click on these
pointers, the business will likely thrive.

Alan