Re: Clarification on tag-prefix-cond vs. tag-prefix

Hello,

> > And Simple patterns seem to be specifically associated with certain
> > keywords replacing "~,%,=" expressions.
>
> Keywords? Replacing? No, the ~ or % or = don't get *replaced*.
>
> We must be talking past each other here.

indeed, I was being unprecise. The manual (Chapter "Advanced Usage") is saying
this about simple *searches* not simple *patterns*.
I still find it confusing if not contradictory, because the searching by
keywords (= not valid patterns) is explained directly below the heading
"Simple Patterns". Thus i conclude a seemingly invalid pattern must be the
announced "simple pattern" as in "simplified pattern".

--snip from the manual--

2.2. Simple Patterns

   Mutt supports two versions of so called ``simple searches'' which are
   issued if the query entered for searching, limiting and similar operations
   does not seem to be a valid pattern (i.e. it does not contain one of these
   characters: ``~'', ``='' or ``%'').

[...]

Table 4.2. Simple search keywords

   | Keyword | Pattern modifier |
   | all     | ~A               |

--snip---

but i guess i am "splitting hairs" as we  say in german.
Yet i stumble on things like this and start in the wrong tracks...

jan