Re: local sendmail

* Patrick Shanahan <ptilopteri@xxxxxxxxx> [02-05-09 09:08]:

> No, you do not *need* postfix, but your MDA *must* deliver to procmail
> in some manner.  You may process the mail with procmail:
>   formail -ds procmail -m <recipe.file> <mail.file>
>   formail -ds procmail <mail.file>
>
> The crux is that the MDA *must* deliver to procmail.

On further thought, or whatever that process should be called, the
above is not entirely true.  It is quite possible to accept the mail
whereever your MDA places it, I assume it is consistent and in one
place, and run a cron job to have that place/file processed via
procmail and delivered to *different* location/file.  Then just don't
access the location that the MDA delivers with your email client.

I believe there exists a utility similar to cron that works on the
existance of a defined file that you could use instead of cron to
achieve the above, but I cannot recall the name of that utility,
perhaps "incron".