Re: [Slightly OT] Allow for choosing browser to follow a link

On 2007-08-29, Kyle Wheeler <kyle-mutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wednesday, August 29 at 09:15 AM, quoth Gary Johnson:
> >I use w3m instead of urlview for the Ctrl-B command.
> >
> >   macro index \cB ": unset wait_key; set pipe_decode\n|w3m\n: set wait_key;
> > unset pipe_decode\n" "call w3m to extract URLs out of a message"
> >   macro pager \cB ": unset wait_key; set pipe_decode\n|w3m\n: set wait_key;
> > unset pipe_decode\n" "call w3m to extract URLs out of a message"
> >
> >The : command within w3m turns all URL-looking strings in the text
> >into links.  W3m allows you to configure as many as three external
> >browsers that can be used instead of w3m itself to view the current
> >page (M, 2M or 3M) or follow the current link (<Esc>M, 2<Esc>M or
> >3<Esc>M).
>
> Also... in my w3m, pressing : doesn't seem to do anything, and
> pressing M just makes it say "Can't browse stdin". I presume you have
> something in your w3m config that changes it's behavior?

Hmm.  I don't know why it wouldn't respond to :.  I'm using
w3m-0.5.2, but I think it has had that feature for quite a while.

By default, : only affects URLs that are visible on the current
page.  To have it linkify all URLs in the document, you need to set

   Treat URL-like strings as links in all pages              (*)YES  ( )NO

The M commands hand the URL of the current page or of the selected
link to the external browser.  W3m can't do that with stdin.

I've attached my ~/.w3m/config so that you can compare it with
yours.  The 'extbrowser' setting may look odd.  I run mutt on a Sun
machine because that's where I do most of my work and have most of
my tools installed but I run Firefox on a Linux machine (also my X
server) because it's easier to install Firefox on Linux than on Sun.

I hardly ever use the second or third external browser.  I just
tried using them and they don't work.  They did in previous releases
of w3m.  Now though, 2M, 3M, 2<Esc>M and 3<Esc>M all open the
page/link in Firefox.  I just tested w3m-0.5.1 and it works
correctly.  Oh goody, one more thing to look into.

Regards,
Gary
gb18030_as_ucs 0
strict_iso2022 1
use_jisx0213 0
use_jisx0212 0
use_jisx0201k 0
use_jisc6226 0
use_jisx0201 0
use_gb12345_map 0
fix_width_conv 1
search_conv 1
pre_conv 0
ucs_conv 1
use_language_tag 1
use_combining 1
use_wide 0
ext_halfdump 0
follow_locale 1
system_charset ISO-8859-1
auto_detect 2
document_charset ISO-8859-1
display_charset ISO-8859-1
cookie_accept_domains
cookie_reject_domains
accept_bad_cookie 0
accept_cookie 1
show_cookie 1
use_cookie 1
no_cache 0
noproxy_netaddr 1
no_proxy agilent.com
ftp_proxy http://web-proxy:8088/
http_proxy http://web-proxy:8088/
use_proxy 1
max_news 50
nntpmode
nntpserver news.spk.agilent.com
dns_order 0
meta_refresh 1
follow_redirection 10
default_url 0
retry_http 1
argv_is_url 0
accept_media text/html, text/*;q=0.5, image/*
accept_encoding gzip, compress, bzip, bzip2
accept_language en;q=1.0
no_referer 0
user_agent
pre_form_file ~/.w3m/pre_form
ftppass_hostnamegen 1
ftppasswd
disable_secret_security_check 0
passwd_file ~/.w3m/passwd
use_lessopen 0
bgextviewer 1
extbrowser3 lynx
extbrowser2 /home/garyjohn/bin/netscape2
extbrowser remsh whiffle -n DISPLAY=$DISPLAY
/home/garyjohn/bin/Linux/firefox-remote "'%s'" &
mailer mutt
editor vim
urimethodmap ~/.w3m/urimethodmap,
/home/garyjohn/src/SunOS/w3m-0.5.2/etc/w3m/urimethodmap
mailcap ~/.w3m/mailcap, /home/garyjohn/src/SunOS/w3m-0.5.2/etc/w3m/mailcap
mime_types ~/.mime.types, /home/garyjohn/src/SunOS/w3m-0.5.2/etc/mime.types
index_file
cgi_bin
personal_document_root
document_root