Re: [Slightly OT] Allow for choosing browser to follow a link

On 2007-08-29, Kai Grossjohann <kai@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Ctrl-b invokes urlview which provides a list of URLs in the current
> message and allows me to choose one of them to view it.  This invokes
> w3m or elinks.  This is good.
>
> But from time to time I want to invoke other browsers.  Or just copy the
> URL to the X11 clipboard.
>
> Is there an alternative to urlview that would allow me to choose the
> program to run on a case-by-case basis?

I use w3m instead of urlview for the Ctrl-B command.

   macro index \cB ": unset wait_key; set pipe_decode\n|w3m\n: set wait_key;
unset pipe_decode\n" "call w3m to extract URLs out of a message"
   macro pager \cB ": unset wait_key; set pipe_decode\n|w3m\n: set wait_key;
unset pipe_decode\n" "call w3m to extract URLs out of a message"

The : command within w3m turns all URL-looking strings in the text
into links.  W3m allows you to configure as many as three external
browsers that can be used instead of w3m itself to view the current
page (M, 2M or 3M) or follow the current link (<Esc>M, 2<Esc>M or
3<Esc>M).

HTH,
Gary