Re: How to organize mail in folders?

On Fri, Aug 10, 2007 at 12:00:01PM -0600, Kyle Wheeler wrote:
> On Friday, August 10 at 01:51 PM, quoth Derek Martin:
> >> Or, mutt can be configured to do local IMAP over SSH... which has
> >> its uses (i.e. ssh to the machine and run the imapd directly).

Alternatively, you might consider setting up IMAP Proxy,
  http://www.imapproxy.org/#aaa
We've used it before to cross a firewall and it
worked well.  Because it caches the IMAP cannection,
it can improve performance in some situations as well.

Here's what the FAQ says:

Why was imapproxy written in the first place?

Imapproxy was written to compensate for webmail clients that are
unable to maintain persistent connections to an IMAP server. Most
webmail clients need to log in to an IMAP server for nearly every single
transaction. This behaviour can cause tragic performance problems on the
IMAP server. imapproxy tries to deal with this problem by leaving server
connections open for a short time after a webmail client logs out. When
the webmail client connects again, imapproxy will determine if there's
a cached connection available and reuse it if possible.