Re: Re: How to organize mail in folders?

Just my 2 eurocents:

I have used Mutt for years but wanted to have a graphical MUA as well.
Also, I get a *lot* of mail so I needed automated archiving.
Furthermore, I never wanted to mark read/delete an email twice on
different locations. This is my setup now which works very well:

All my mail (many different domains and addresses) goes to one mailbox
on the Internet.
My own server pop that mail using getmail every few minutes.
Then procmail takes over and filters mail into local Maildir folders
(for identities,
I use Mutt to read these mails locally.
There is also have an IMAP server running on the same Maildir folders.
Then I have Portable Thunderbird on the various PCs where I work (on a
memory stick or in a TrueCrypt container) - this is mainly on Windows
(or Mac OSX). These connect with OpenVPN to my own server and IMAP over
that connection.
Every month, archivemail archives maildirs according to a per-maildir
configuration (e.g. older than 1 months, or older than 2 or 3 months)
into mbox format. So I get mboxes for all maildirs (~12) for every month
automatically. I can open these with mutt (not with Thunderbird of course).

This works well for me. I search old mail with grep. The main advantages
are:

- IMAP access remains quick because mailboxes do not contain 'older'
mails (configurable) so do not grow too big
- Both Mutt (locally direct to Maildir) and graphical access (via IMAP)
- Mail statuses are kept between clients (including Sent and Drafts)
- Quite secure (ssh or openvpn access are the only ways in).

HTH,

John