How to organize mail in folders?

I used to use Gnus which is a newsreader at heart.  Therefore the method
to organize mail in folders ("groups" in Gnus-speak) was different from
what I think I need with Mutt.

I'd like to get some ideas from you how you organize your mail.

For reference, here is what I think the problem might be.

I distribute incoming mail across several folders according to the
address they were sent to -- I am subscribed to quite a number of
mailing lists.

For most mailing lists, I want to know which messages are still to do,
and also to keep old messages that have already been processed.

With Gnus, I marked the to-do messages as important ("flagged" them, in
Mutt-speak, I think).  After it was done, the message was marked as
read.  Gnus would automatically show me both new messages and important
messages, hiding the ones marked as read.

I think Mutt always shows me all messages, so this method cannot be
used.

tia,
Kai