Re: Problem with new 'pager_format'

I'm sorry I've taken so long to get back to this.  It was an
especially busy day of real work.

On 2007-06-28, David Champion <dgc@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> * On 2007.06.27, in <20070628002053.GA3225@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
> *     "Gary Johnson" <garyjohn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > With mutt-1.5.16, that behavior has changed.  The fixed indicator
> > has been replaced by the "%> -- (%P)" format sequence in
> > 'pager_format'.  The problem with this is that the percentage
> > indicator can now be shoved off the right side of the screen by long
> > subjects.
>
> It's not exactly the answer you're looking for, but this is precisely
> the kind of scenario my "softfill" patch is made to address.  This patch
> implements the "%* " notation, which is analogous to "%> " but gives
> precedence to the right side instead of to the left when the fill length
> is zero.  With a long subject, the subject would be truncated enough for
> anything to the right of "%* " to render in full.
>
> http://home.uchicago.edu/~dgc/sw/mutt/patch-1.5.16.dgc.softfill.1

This appears to be the best solution I've seen.  However, when I
point my browser to that URL, it reports

   Forbidden

   You don't have permission to access
/~dgc/sw/mutt/patch-1.5.16.dgc.softfill.1 on this server.

   Apache/1.3.27 Server at home.uchicago.edu Port 80

Would you please take a look at the permissions on that file?

I commonly run mutt in three different terminal widths, so Maxime's
proposal is also a possibility, but I would have to change the
behavior of the 'pager_format' I had been using, which was

   set pager_format="%4C %Z %[!%b %e at %I:%M %p]  %.20n  %s"

Note that both the name and subject fields have varying widths.  I
would have to make them both fixed and lose the ability to exchange
name width for subject width.

Thank you all for your help.

Regards,
Gary