Re: adventures in coloring lines of the index view

Thus spake Derek Martin [03/28/07 @ 21.21.22 -0400]:
> On Wed, Mar 28, 2007 at 02:57:03PM -0500, Greg Novack wrote:
> > Dear Mutt Aficionados,
> >
> > I don't know if this is a bug or a feature, but either way, I want
> > to make it go away :)
> >
> > I wanted new messages in the index view to be colored in bold
> > yellow.  Hence I put 'color index brightyellow default ~N' in my
> > sourced color file.  What I'm about to explain is a way in which
> > this seems to work incorrectly, while 'color index brightyellow
> > black ~N' works properly.
>
> Is mutt compiled against curses or slang?  IIRC, for default
> background colors to work properly with older versions of slang, you
> have to set an environment variable to tell slang what the background
> color is.  You might be using an old slang library.
>
> If it's compiled against curses, then most likely it's a problem with
> the provided termcap/terminfo settings.  If that's the case, there are
> probably other people having similar problems.  Did you search the
> archives and/or the web for this problem?  I do vaguely recall people
> complaining about terminal-related stuff not working properly on Macs
> before...
>
> mutt -v will tell you how it was compiled:
>
>   $ mutt -v |egrep 'curses|slang'
>   System: Linux <sanitized> [using slang 10405]
>
> --
> Derek D. Martin    http://www.pizzashack.org/   GPG Key ID:

Apparently, it was compiled with ncurses 5.2.  As far as I know, ncurses was
put on my system (OSX10.3) by Fink, and according to Fink it is not outdated
(though that could just mean that no newer version is within Fink's purview).
I'll do more research on this.

I do think it's weird that this only happens with bold foreground coloring.
Also, it's not as though Mutt is incapable of presenting both bold foreground
and 'default' background -- it's just that whether both are present varies with
the position of the indicator bar.

Many thanks,
GMN