adventures in coloring lines of the index view

Dear Mutt Aficionados,

I don't know if this is a bug or a feature, but either way, I want to make it
go away :)

I wanted new messages in the index view to be colored in bold yellow.  Hence I
put 'color index brightyellow default ~N' in my sourced color file.  What I'm
about to explain is a way in which this seems to work incorrectly, while 'color
index brightyellow black ~N' works properly.  My terminal has a black
background, so using 'default' as the background for brightyellow should yield
brightyellow text on black background.  Alas, Mutt only partly does this.  When
there is only one new message in the index, all is fine.  When there is more
than one new message in the index, then moving the indicator bar over any new
message except the topmost one will cause the brightyellow to turn into regular
yellow (and back again when the indicator bar goes upward past it).  This is
mega-irritating.  Is this a bug?  Or a feature?  Or merely a property?  How can
I get around this?  It happens both in OSX Terminals and in X11 ones including
xterm, rxvt, eterm.

On a lark, I replaced 'default' with 'black', and everything behaves properly.
However, sometimes I like my terminals to have backgrounds other than black, in
which case 'color index brightyellow black' will cause an equally annoying
background bar underneath any new messages.  I dont' want to have to call a
different color file for different terminal settings, so this is not a great
solution.

Many thanks,
GMN