Re: Add alias during session

* Darrin Chandler <dwchandler@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> [02-06-07 13:15]:
 [...]
> The times I want to add an alias completely separate from a current
> message are few and far between. For me, I wouldn't think adding a "new
> blank alias" feature would be worth it.
 [...]

add lbdb to your system and utilize it for snarfing addresses:

Description :
The Little Brother's Database (lbdb) consists of a set of small tools
that collect mail addresses from several sources and offer these
addresses to the external query feature of the Mutt mail reader.

To use the fetch address feature, put the following lines in your
.procmailrc:

:0hc | lbdb-fetchaddr

To use the database in mutt, put the following line into your .muttrc:

set query_command="lbdbq %s"

excerpt from man page:
DESCRIPTION

       lbdbq  is  the  client  program for the little brother's
       database. It will attempt to invoke various modules to gather
       information about persons matching something.
       E.g., it may look at a list of addresses from which you have
       received mail, it may look at YP maps, or it may try to finger
       some‐ thing@<various hosts>.

       The behavior is configurable: Upon startup, lbdbq will source
       the shell scripts:

              /etc/lbdb.rc
              $HOME/.lbdbrc
              $HOME/.lbdb/lbdbrc
              $HOME/.lbdb/rc
       if they exist.

14:20 wahoo:~ > grep lbdb .muttrc
set query_command="lbdbq '%s'"  # calling lbdbq
macro alias Q "!lbdbq ."        "lbdb query"

14:21 wahoo:~ > lbdbq Darrin\ Chandler
lbdbq: 1 matches
dwchandler@xxxxxxxxxxxxx        Darrin Chandler

14:21 wahoo:~ > lbdbq chandler