Re: 256 colors

Hello Henry,

 On Wednesday, September 13, 2006 at 10:45:14 +0900, Henry Nelson wrote:

> PuTTY is set to pass "putty-256c" to the shell [...] I do not set
> "term" in $HOME/.screenrc [...] `setenv | grep TERM` output is:
> "TERM=screen.putty-256c".

    Suboptimal: To cleanly exploit the 256 colors, you are supposed to
have also a 256-aware TERM inside Screen. The most natural way is to set
"term" in screenrc. For you:

| term screen-256color-bce

    ...then if it's available (see bottom note), Screen will autoexport
the longish specialized entry:

| TERM=screen-256color-bce.putty-256c

    ...which should work better, but might need some more name
shortening efforts (short aliases, symbolic links, whatever). Your goal
is to have no more "$TERM too long - sorry." errors, and still have:

| $ infocmp -1 | egrep "bce|colors|kf20"
|       bce,
|       colors#256,
|       kf20=\E[34~,

    Note to others: Henry has an experimental customized terminfo
database. Nobody else has the same entries. With the same settings,
anyone else would have TERM=screen-256color-bce and:

| $ infocmp -1 | egrep "bce|colors|kf20"
|       bce,
|       colors#256,

Bye!    Alain.