Re: 256 colors

On Sat, Sep 09, 2006 at 10:35:00AM -0400, cga2000 wrote:
> happened .. To fix the "bce issue" I set TERM to terminfo entries that
> were not 256-color capable on terminals (screen/xterm) that _did_ have
> the capability ..  and then used the config files where possible (vim,
> eg.) to inform the apps of the terminal's real color capabilities ..

Could you elaborate (explain with concrete examples) this section.  I
don't really understand what the "bce issue" is, nor what "the config
files" refer to.  TIA

For the record, my scenerio is:
Use Mutt and other apps within GNU Screen (--enable-colors256) on NetBSD
server.  Shell is csh.  TERMCAP and TERMINFO (location of description
databases) are set in .login, but TERM is not set.  The terminal emulation
is PuTTY on WindowsXP, and PuTTY is set to pass "putty-256c" to the shell.
(The name of Alain's "putty-256color" was shortened in source file before
tic'ing so that screen can be invoked within screen.)  `setenv | grep TERM`
output is: "TERM=screen.putty-256c".  In $HOME/.screenrc I have "termcapinfo
putty* vb@" and "termcapinfo putty* hs@" on separate lines.  I do not set
"term" in $HOME/.screenrc.  (I used to, but it didn't seem to matter so I
commented that line out.)

Other than not being able to print via vtprint or lpansi, the above setup
seems to be working okay.  Nevertheless, any and all advice and/or suggestions
very welcome and appreciated.

--
henry nelson
  WWW_HOME=http://yuba(dot)ne(dot)jp/(tilde)home/