Re: 256 colors

On Wed, Aug 30, 2006 at 10:25:55AM EDT, Alain Bench wrote:
> Hello,
>
>  On Sunday, August 27, 2006 at 10:58:10 -0400, cga2000 wrote:
>
> > the easiest would be to infocmp screen-bce and tic it back as
> > xterm-256color somewhere else

>     No: That would be a mistake. To work properly, such setup needs
>     both the correct TERM=xterm-256color for the real terminal outside
>     and under Screen, and a TERM=screen-256color (or variant) for
>     inside Screen.  GNU screen does translations between the
>     underlying real terminal, and the virtual terminal it implements.

Well .. as a temporary solution .. what I had in mind was running the
underlying xterm with the original TERM=xterm-256color and my screen
terminal sessions with TERM set to my doctored xterm-256color -- alias
screen-bce.

The more I think about it this is likely to cause problems. Especially
since you tell me that gnu/screen accesses both the "screen" terminfo
entry and the undelying xterm's.

> | screen-256color-bce|GNU Screen with 256 colors and BCE,
> |     sgr0=\E[m^O,
> |     ccc@, initc@,
> |     use=xterm+256color,
> |     use=screen-bce,

I understand that:

1. whatever is hardcoded in the screen-256color-bce entry overrides the
   like-named stuff in xterm-256color

2. whatever is common to both xterm-256color and screen-bce will take
   its value from screen-bce .. or is it the other way round ..?

"man tic" is unclear about the latter point.

But what I am really concerned about is that this might not work where
mutt is concerned.

It looks like mutt is aware of certain 256-capable terminals based on
their terminfo name.  So I was hoping to fool mutt into thinking that
he was dealing with one of them.

As far as I can tell, screen-bce supports 256 colors ..  Provided the
underlying xterm also does.   I run both ELinks and Vim in 256 color
mode with TERM=screen-bce without any problems.

Why would mutt be any different than these two other apps and complain
about my terminal not supporting 256 colors?

Thanks

cga