Re: Poll: personal convenience vs. global improvement of docs

Hi,

* Derek Martin [06-05-26 06:58:04 -0400] wrote:
On Fri, May 26, 2006 at 11:15:56AM +0200, Nicolas Rachinsky wrote:

No. You can't reliably convert an awk script generating mutt config
files. You can't reliably convert variable names in macros or push
commands.

For every one existing variable name, there will be exactly one new
variable name.  How can you not reliably convert any text document
which contains them if that is true?

I don't know either except for overlapping names where you'd need lots of magic to reliably detect the end of a word with mutt's syntax rules across all awk flavors. But these may be edge cases and I didn't check all options and new names for such conflicts.

Solving this internally by means of adding a <dump-new-config> function wouldn't work either since a user may encode each line in a different encoding via $config_charset (i.e. we have a state while such a function would be stateless), or ordering of hooks, etc. I'm just mentioning this because I recall to have seen this suggestion in the wiki.

  bye, Rocco
--
:wq!