Re: Reading UTF-8 Mail (was Re: e-mail encoding/formatting)

On Thu, May 04, 2006 at 06:41:22PM -0400, Derek Martin wrote:
> On Thu, May 04, 2006 at 06:18:36PM -0400, Richard Cobbe wrote:
> > I don't have any locale-related environment variables set; I get the
> > following:
>
> If you want to use UTF-8, you need them.  As I said in a previous
> post, you most likely want to set at least your $LANG, like this:
>
>   LANG=en_US.UTF-8

Sorry, I was unclear.  I have tried mutt both with the default
environment settings (i.e., nothing set), and with LANG=en_US.UTF-8.
Only the former works acceptably.

> > I also don't set the charset variable within .muttrc.  Querying the
> > charset variable (with :set ?charset) gives me "us-ascii" -- I'm not
> > sure quite where that's coming from, although it's what I want in most
> > cases.
>
> Except, again, if you want to use UTF-8, it isn't what you want.  But
> if you set the LANG variable as above, mutt will automatically set the
> charset properly for you.

So it does.  Thanks for clarifying that.

> > I'm running with ncurses 5.4-20041023 *and* ncursesw 5.4-20041023.  It
> > seems as though mutt is linked against both:
>
> It seems that you should be OK then.

The index still doesn't display correctly; see my original message
up-thread.

> > I've got a lot to do at school right now, but when things calm down in a
> > bit, I may try to play with some of these issues.  I'm using fink's
> > mutt; they've got a newer one (1.5.11) in the unstable tree that might
> > work better.  If that fails, I may also try to build from source to get
> > rid of that configure switch you mentioned.
>
> See also my previous post where I also described about terminals and
> fonts.

Yeah, I'm currently running Mutt in an xterm started with the command
  uxterm -fn -Misc-Fixed-Medium-R-Normal--18-120-100-100-C-90-ISO10646-1
and I'm getting the same behavior I described up-thread (although the
specific patterns drawn on the screen for Kyle's curly quotes and the
box-drawing characters in the index are slightly different---still
wrong, just different).

As soon as I get a chance (July?) I'll try building the most recent
point-release of Mutt myself, since I also want to play around with IMAP
header caches.

Richard