Re: Reading UTF-8 Mail (was Re: e-mail encoding/formatting)

On Thu, May 04, 2006 at 06:18:36PM -0400, Richard Cobbe wrote:
> I don't have any locale-related environment variables set; I get the
> following:

If you want to use UTF-8, you need them.  As I said in a previous
post, you most likely want to set at least your $LANG, like this:

  LANG=en_US.UTF-8

> I also don't set the charset variable within .muttrc.  Querying the
> charset variable (with :set ?charset) gives me "us-ascii" -- I'm not
> sure quite where that's coming from, although it's what I want in most
> cases.

Except, again, if you want to use UTF-8, it isn't what you want.  But
if you set the LANG variable as above, mutt will automatically set the
charset properly for you.

> I'm running with ncurses 5.4-20041023 *and* ncursesw 5.4-20041023.  It
> seems as though mutt is linked against both:

It seems that you should be OK then.

> I've got a lot to do at school right now, but when things calm down in a
> bit, I may try to play with some of these issues.  I'm using fink's
> mutt; they've got a newer one (1.5.11) in the unstable tree that might
> work better.  If that fails, I may also try to build from source to get
> rid of that configure switch you mentioned.

See also my previous post where I also described about terminals and
fonts.

-=-=-=-=-