Re: e-mail encoding/formatting

On Mon, May 01, 2006 at 08:58:35PM -0400, Derek Martin wrote:
Sorry, you are uninformed.  Try reading German e-mail with euc-kr or
euc-jp, or pratcically any encoding that does not use latin
characters.  It's impossible (or at least rather difficult), because

Can I read Japanese or Korean mails if I have a latin1 locale? Can I read German texts if I have only a C locale? No. Of course not. If you chose (or your admin chose) a locale containing only a subset of all possible character encodings blame yourself (or your admin).

If we would follow your suggestion, even Korean users would have to cripple their language by using ASCII characters, so everyone could read it. That is no solution.

Just because the operating system supports UTF, doesn't mean the
support is installed.  The users of such systems generally have no

Of course not. I don’t expect to have a full installed XIM system on every workstation. Honesty, who would wish to write in those languages only used by communists or terrorists?
So let’s cripple every language to ASCII.

So, sorry for being stupid, but just because things are happy in your
own little world doesn't mean they work anywhere else...

My own little world involves international mailing lists where user write their names in their correct form (which can be kanji or German umlauts). Of course you would suggest that those people should use ASCII for their names, too, wouldn’t you?

UTF-8 is not bleeding edge.
Regardless, it's still widely unavailable.

As are or were flash or java plugins. Nevertheless people used them until everyone had to install them to see the web sites.

So?  Just because a large group of people have not adopted an
improvement does not mean it isn't an improvement...

Crippling a language is *not* an improvement.

Then those software must be fixed.
Good luck.  Let us know how you make out with that...

I don’t have problems. Those people who wish to read me must do this (or stop reading me, I don’t care).

It does mean that, if you can communicate just as effectively without
using them, but using them excludes people unfairly.  This is exactly

I will tell it the people at debian-japanese to use ASCII even when writing Japanese. I think they will understand that it is completly unfair to use an encoding that can’t be read in all locale.

Shade and sweet water!

        Stephan

--
| Stephan Seitz                    E-Mail: Nur-Ab-Sal@xxxxxx |