Re: sending through a remote MTA with ssh

Jason Helfman wrote:
> This is the one of the most humorous threads ever. Down right
> ridiculous, actually.
>
> Yes it is possible, I'm sure, however I don't know if this has already
> been said, but this does pose a "best practice" issue of use of the
> Internet.

If this were a more frivolous forum, I would not hesitate to call your
response 'trolling' and be done with it.  Instead, I will try to explore
the issue further.  I'd like to understand what is it that you find
humorous and ridiculous about this thread.

If you're referring to coupling ssh with email management, please bear
in mind that this is a Mutt users mailing list.  Most users here are
fond of text interfaces, or just find them efficient.  Ssh is the best
tool to securely access a remote computer by a text interface.
Therefore my wild guess is that I'm not the only one here to keep my
private email on a server or home pc and to access it through ssh.

The path from this to have some local Mutt somewhere use a remote
sendmail, for whatever reason, is not as far-fetched as you seem to
imply.

If instead you disagree on transporting email through ssh tunnels
(instead of plain old SMTP), I might concede that SSMTP (smtp over ssl)
might be a cleaner solution.  But it requires all sorts of client/server
setup that the original poster might not be willing or able to do.

As a final note, I see a broad use of ssh tunneling and cryptography as
a still 'better practice' than the widespread disrespect for privacy
that ISPs and corporations seem to display.

Toby

--
Signed/encrypted mail welcome.  GPG/PGP Key-Id: 0x15C5C2EA