Re: sending through a remote MTA with ssh

On Thu, Feb 16, 2006 at 12:24:18AM +0100, Stanislaw Halik wrote:
> Louis-David Mitterrand <vindex+lists-mutt-users@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > To submit mail directly through a remote MTA one could use the following
> > (with a passwordless ssh access to the server):
>
> > set sendmail="ssh my.remote-mta.com '/usr/sbin/sendmail -oem -oi'"
>
> > Is there any catch in doing this?
>
> if the password prompt is shown, you'll have to manually kill/^C the ssh
> client.

I use this method to send mail out of mutt.  There are a couple of
issues:-

    It only works 'transparently' if you have set up passwordless
    login to the remote system in question.  This may or may not be
    practical.

    Unless you set sendmail_wait mutt will wait for the remote
    sendmail to complete before returning control to you.  This can
    take a while.  If you *do* set sendmail_wait then you won't know
    if the remote sendmail has failed.

--
Chris Green (chris@xxxxxxxxxxx)

    "Never ascribe to malice that which can be explained by incompetence."