Re: sending through a remote MTA with ssh

On Thu, Feb 16, 2006 at 08:45:59AM +0000, Chris Green wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 16, 2006 at 12:24:18AM +0100, Stanislaw Halik wrote:
> > Louis-David Mitterrand <vindex+lists-mutt-users@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > > To submit mail directly through a remote MTA one could use the following
> > > (with a passwordless ssh access to the server):
> >
> > > set sendmail="ssh my.remote-mta.com '/usr/sbin/sendmail -oem -oi'"
> >
> > > Is there any catch in doing this?
> >
> > if the password prompt is shown, you'll have to manually kill/^C the ssh
> > client.
>
> I use this method to send mail out of mutt.  There are a couple of
> issues:-
>
>     It only works 'transparently' if you have set up passwordless
>     login to the remote system in question.  This may or may not be
>     practical.

I use the pam_ssh module to load my key into the ssh-agent from the xdm
(idem gdm/kdm) prompt, thus avoiding a second password entry (only works
if your unix password is the same as your ssh key passphrase).

>     Unless you set sendmail_wait mutt will wait for the remote
>     sendmail to complete before returning control to you.  This can
>     take a while.  If you *do* set sendmail_wait then you won't know
>     if the remote sendmail has failed.

About sendmail_wait the latest manual states:

   Note that if you specify a value other than 0, the output of the child
   process will be put in a temporary file. If there is some error, you will
   be informed as to where to find the output.

So if there is a problem you will be informed but not just now :)