Re: sending through a remote MTA with ssh

On Thu, Feb 16, 2006 at 07:00:14PM +0000, Chris Green wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 16, 2006 at 09:23:56AM -0800, Jason Helfman wrote:
> >
> > >Of course, a compromise of the key you use to access your e-mail
> > >system is probably not the end of the world, unless it does a whole
> > >lot more than just send and receive your e-mail...
> > >
> > This is the one of the most humorous threads ever. Down right ridiculous,
> > actually.
> >
> What are you on about?!  :-)
>

> > Yes it is possible, I'm sure, however I don't know if this has already been
> > said, but this does pose a "best practice" issue of use of the Internet.
> >
> > I believe that this is not a good way to use email, and I beg for this
> > thread not to be posted on the Internet. People might think this is
> > actually a good idea.
> >
> > If you don't want email, change your header to be from a email dump
> > account.  Just cause you can't manage your spam, don't blame everyone else.
> > The Internet has become a money making entity, just like the good ole US of
> > A.  Get used to it.
>
> I think you have got a wierd idea of how I read my mail!  It has
> nothing whatsoever to do with managing spam.
>
> I simply connect to the system where I read my mail (with mutt) using
> ssh.  It has lots of advantages, the main one is that I can read my
> mail from anywhere without any issues of where messages are stored
> etc., they are always in the same place.

Further, I think you have forgotten the OP's original question (as I have
done in my reply above).  The original question was about sending mail
via an ssh 'tunnel'.  As well as reading my (personal) mail as described
above I do send mail (work mail) through an ssh tunnel as the OP wanted
to. This is because my system at work is a Sun Solaris one where I run
mutt and due to various reorganisations local sendmail no longer works.
Thus being able to connect to a system where I *can* use sendmail is
the only way I can send mail.

--
Chris Green (chris@xxxxxxxxxxx)

    "Never ascribe to malice that which can be explained by incompetence."