Re: recent header-cache changes?

Hi,

On Tue, Feb 07, 2006 at 11:19:28AM -0500, Kyle Wheeler wrote:
> On Tuesday, February  7 at 09:40 AM, quoth Christoph Ludwig:
> >I solved the problem, I guess, but I don't understand how...
> >
> >I found an unset configuration variable named 'imap_cache' in the
> >output of 'mutt -D'.
>
> er?
>
> $ mutt -D | grep imap_cache
> imap_cachedir="/Users/kyle/.conf/mutt/mcache/"
> $ grep imap_cache mutt/init.h
>  { "imap_cachedir", DT_PATH, R_NONE, UL &ImapCachedir, 0 },
>
> Hmm, my version of CVS doesn’t seem to have such a variable. Could this
> be from one of your two patches?

my fault - looking for the problem with header_cache, I wrote imap_cache where
I meant imap_cachedir. I set the correct variable im my .muttrc.

> The imap_cachedir setting *is* documented in the manual:
>
>    imap_cachedir
>        Type: path
>        Default: ""
>
>        Set this to a directory and mutt will cache copies of messages
>        from your IMAP servers here. You are free to remove entries at
>        any time if space becomes an issue.
>
> I suspect you have a somewhat more complex problem. Try compiling from a
> fresh CVS pull.

Thanks for the information, but I still cannot find it in the manual:

  cludwig@placidus:~/C++/sources> cvs -d
:pserver:anonymous@xxxxxxxxxxxx:/home/roessler/cvs co -d mutt-pristine-CVS mutt
  [console output skipped...]
  cludwig@placidus:~/C++/sources> find mutt-pristine-CVS/ -type f | xargs grep
imap_cachedir
  mutt-pristine-CVS/imap/message.c:  /* we still do some caching even if
imap_cachedir is unset */
  mutt-pristine-CVS/init.h:  { "imap_cachedir", DT_PATH, R_NONE, UL
&ImapCachedir, 0 },
  mutt-pristine-CVS/ChangeLog:    imap/message.h, init.h: Add $imap_cachedir
option. If set, mutt
  cludwig@placidus:~/C++/sources>

'imap_cachedir' is not mentioned at all in mutt-pristine-CVS/doc. From
which sources did you build your manual?

And I am still wondering how 'imap_cachedir' and 'header_cache' interact -
why did opening an imap mailbox repeatedly take much longer compared to a
mutt build from last fall until I set imap_cachedir?
Or was this a side effect of Brendan's changes to the imap code that is now
masked by the additional caching?

Regards

Christoph

--
FH Worms - University of Applied Sciences
Fachbereich Informatik / Telekommunikation