Characters in from address not displayed correctly when marked new

Dear comrads,

I've been corresponding with some japanese people recently and have
noticed a behaviour in mutt that I can't seem to see as resulting from
misconfiguration.

When a from address contains a name in non-latin characters, they are
not displayed properly if the message is marked as new. If it is
marked read or old, the kanji characters are displayed as boxes. See:
  <http://martin.swift.is/pub/images/mutt.newmail.png>
  <http://martin.swift.is/pub/images/mutt.readmail.png>

Before I report this to mutt-dev, I just wanted to see if anyone knew
what is causeing this.

Thanks,
Martin

Mutt 1.5.11 (2005-09-15)
Copyright (C) 1996-2002 Michael R. Elkins and others.
Mutt comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; for details type `mutt -vv'.
Mutt is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it
under certain conditions; type `mutt -vv' for details.

System: Linux 2.6.14-ck6 (i686) [using ncurses 5.4]
Compile options:
-DOMAIN
+DEBUG
+HOMESPOOL  -USE_SETGID  +USE_DOTLOCK  +DL_STANDALONE
-USE_FCNTL  +USE_FLOCK   -USE_INODESORT
-USE_POP  +USE_IMAP  -USE_GSS  +USE_SSL  -USE_GNUTLS  -USE_SASL
-HAVE_REGCOMP  +USE_GNU_REGEX  +COMPRESSED
+HAVE_COLOR  +HAVE_START_COLOR  +HAVE_TYPEAHEAD  +HAVE_BKGDSET
+HAVE_CURS_SET  +HAVE_META  +HAVE_RESIZETERM
+CRYPT_BACKEND_CLASSIC_PGP  -CRYPT_BACKEND_CLASSIC_SMIME
-CRYPT_BACKEND_GPGME  -BUFFY_SIZE -EXACT_ADDRESS  -SUN_ATTACHMENT
+ENABLE_NLS  -LOCALES_HACK  +HAVE_WC_FUNCS  +HAVE_LANGINFO_CODESET
+HAVE_LANGINFO_YESEXPR
+HAVE_ICONV  -ICONV_NONTRANS  -HAVE_LIBIDN  +HAVE_GETSID
+HAVE_GETADDRINFO  +USE_HCACHE
-ISPELL
SENDMAIL="/usr/sbin/sendmail"
MAILPATH="Maildir"
PKGDATADIR="/usr/share/mutt"
SYSCONFDIR="/etc/mutt"
EXECSHELL="/bin/sh"
MIXMASTER="mixmaster"
To contact the developers, please mail to <mutt-dev@xxxxxxxx>.
To report a bug, please use the flea(1) utility.

patch-1.5.6.dw.pgp-timeout.1
patch-1.5.6.dw.mbox-hook.1
rr.compressed
patch-1.5.4.lpr.collapse_flagged Lukas P. Ruf <lukas.ruf@xxxxxx>