Re: Characters in from address not displayed correctly when marked new

On Friday, February  3 at 09:46 AM, quoth Martin Swift:
When a from address contains a name in non-latin characters, they are
not displayed properly if the message is marked as new. If it is
marked read or old, the kanji characters are displayed as boxes. See:
 <http://martin.swift.is/pub/images/mutt.newmail.png>
 <http://martin.swift.is/pub/images/mutt.readmail.png>

I agree with the previous poster, but I want to throw out another possibility. It may be that your mutt isn’t linked to a curses library that supports wide characters. I’ve done that before, and had the bizarre behavior that characters would look fine in the index only as long as no curses-transformations (like color or background color) had been done to them. The fix was just to make sure that mutt linked against libncursesw instead of libncurses.

~Kyle
--
Life is too important to be taken seriously.
                                                         -- Oscar Wilde