Re: Update encoding message - why?

On Fri, Jan 27, 2006 at 03:49:29PM +0000, Chris Green wrote:
> Yes, I wondered if it was some sort of time synch problem.  Just
> looked, yes the machines' clocks are seven minutes apart.  Anyway
> changing the tmpdir was a good enough fix.

Using /tmp is kind of yucky, at least from a (theoretical) security
standpoint.  If your machine is a multi-user system, it opens up the
possibility of someone directing a symlink attack against your
temporary files...

Admittedly, this is not a huge risk, and especially so in most work
environments (more of a concern in say, an academic environment), but
it's at least worth considering.  NTP will keep your clock in sync, if
you have a time server on your network (and your servers use it).

Of course, NFS can be it's own can of worms, so depending on how your
environment is designed, it may not matter much... ;-)

-=-=-=-=-