Re: mutt and smtp - status remains "Sending mail" but nothing is

Will Maier wrote:
On Fri, Dec 09, 2005 at 12:03:09AM +0100, Bram Mertens wrote:

I have been trying to configure msmtp, esmtp and even exim4 on my debian (testing) machine but the status bar keeps displaying "Sending mail..." but nothing is transmitted.

msmtp(1) works for me on OpenBSD with mutt 1.5.9i.

[snip]

my ~/.msmtprc file looks like:
defaults
logfile ~/.msmtp.log

Do you see any errors in the log file? Even when run from mutt,
msmtp should generate errors if the sending fails. Also, what errors
do you see in mutt when sending fails?

Nothing is written to the msmtp log or esmtp or exim logfile, it is as if mutt doesn't even hand the message to the proper tool.

In mutt itself I don't see any errors either, after 30 minutes or so the status is still Sending mail... Then I usualy abort and answer no to postponing the message. Then I get a "mail not sent" message.

account telenet
host smtp.my_isp.be
from bram-mertens_AT_linux.be

account default : telenet

Do you need to add a password for this account?

No, like I said using the same settings I am able to use msmtmp or esmtp to send messages from the cli.

and my ~/.muttrc like:
# Options for sending mail
set sendmail="/usr/bin/msmtp -d"
set edit_headers=yes
set use_from=yes
set realname="Mertens Bram"
set from=bram-mertens_AT_linux.be
set envelope_from=yes

Looks good to me, although you'll eventually want to get rid of the
'-d' on the 'set sendmail'. All my settings are similar to yours.

I know, I was just hoping to see something in the log that would help me figure this out...

Mutt is having trouble finding my "$record" folder and apparantly can't create it. Could it be that mutt is trying to create some (temporary) files below "$folder" and is failing on that?

I'll try to fix this today, if it changes anything I'll post an update.

Regards

Bram Mertens