Re: w3m and following links

On 22:05 Fri 29 Jul 2005, Trey Sizemore wrote:
> I have it set up so that w3m is invoked for rendering HTML mails in
> mutt.  However, it doesn't appear that I'm able to follow links.  In
> googling, it appears that one should be able to use the : key for
> highlighting all links in mails rendered by w3m, but this key gives the
> expected prompt as if waiting for me to enter a command (I'm using vim
> as my editor).
>
> What is the correct way to highlight and follow links in HTML mails
> using w3m in vim?

w3m in vim? I don't think you can do that. I guess what you want is:

when using w3m to view html format messages, you want to follow the url
using w3m right?

Here is how. (http://www.mutt.blackfish.org.uk/following-links/)
----------
urlview

Mutt originally had an internal command for identifying urls in email and
launching external programs to follow them. This functionality was removed
and put in the urlview helper program. If you have urlview installed then
you will probably need a mutt macro in your ~/.muttrc file to call it:

|macro pager \cb <pipe-entry>'urlview'<enter> 'Follow links with urlview'

In the pager, hit Ctrl and b together to launch urlview.
Alternatives to urlview

Urlview extracts the URLs from the message and presents a simple list as a
selectable menu. This is fine, but it doesn't supply the context which is
important for distinguishing obscure URLs like
http://ei5nazha.yz.yamagata-u.ac.jp/~aito/w3m/eng/. The w3m web browser can
be used as an alternative to urlview - This macro will pipe the email into
w3m:

|macro pager \cb <pipe-entry>'w3m'<enter> 'Follow links in w3m'

Once the message is visible, hit : to highlight all the urls.

Another alternative to urlview, is to use a terminal emulator that detects
URL information and turns that text into a clickable link. One terminal
emulator that does this is gnome-terminal (from the gnome desktop).

hope this help

regards

bxuef

--
dhammapada says:

  Death comes and snatches away the man infatuated with children and
  livestock, while his mind is still full of desire, like a great flood
  sweeping away a sleeping village. 287