w3m and following links

I have it set up so that w3m is invoked for rendering HTML mails in
mutt.  However, it doesn't appear that I'm able to follow links.  In
googling, it appears that one should be able to use the : key for
highlighting all links in mails rendered by w3m, but this key gives the
expected prompt as if waiting for me to enter a command (I'm using vim
as my editor).

What is the correct way to highlight and follow links in HTML mails
using w3m in vim?

--
Cheers,
Trey

Join in the new game that's sweeping the country.  It's called
"Bureaucracy".  Everybody stands in a circle.  The first person to do
anything loses.

Linux chameleon 2.6.11.4-21.7-default i686 GNU/Linux
 10:00pm  up  10:18,  6 users,  load average: 0.18, 0.23, 0.27