Re: filtering messages not always recognized

Am 2005-04-06 03:11:56, schrieb Eugene:
> Hey all, I've run into some minor problems trying filter individual
> messages to an external program.  What I want to do is pass an email to
> an external program that modifies the headers while leaving the body
> untouched.  So far, I've figured out that Mutt doesn't really support
> this because there's almost no built-in docs explaining how to do this.
> The explainations from others pretty much say that I need to set the
> editor to the external program, let Mutt invoke the new editor, then
> set the editor back to normal.

I use:

macro index <F6>    ":set pipe_decode=no\n:set
editor='$HOME/bin/tdautoedit'\ne\n:set editor=/usr/bin/mcedit\n:set
pipe_decode=yes\n"

> The problem I've run into is that if the external program does its job
> too quickly, Mutt does not recognize that the original email has been
> modified and so does not save the modified email in the current mailbox.

Then there is a problem with your script, because in my case:

1)  :set pipe_decode=no
2)  :set editor='$HOME/bin/tdautoedit'
3)  e
4)  :set editor=/usr/bin/mcedit
5)  :set pipe_decode=no

If 3) is executet, then mutt do

        exec $HOME/bin/tdautoedit $1

and if you edit the file $1 the you must save it to the same file.

> I've had to insert a 1-second delay into the external program to fool
> Mutt into accepting the modified email.  Is there anything I can do to
> remove this delay?

Never I have used a delay, even the editing is under 0.5 seconds.
There is no problem with mutt, but with your script.

And for editing headers, i use formail inside my script.
Nothing manuell...

Greetings
Michelle

Michelle Konzack Apt. 917                ICQ #328449886
                 50, rue de Soultz       MSM LinuxMichi
0033/3/88452356  67100 Strasbourg/France IRC #Debian
(irc.icq.com)