Re: hook on entering Attachment-View ?

On 2005-04-03, Michelle Konzack <linux4michelle@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> The problem curently is, If I receive a <application/ms-tnef> the
> "winmail.dat" does not work... even on the commandline.  I can see
> in a HEX-Editor there are files inside, 'tnef' does not extract it.
>
> Any hints how to extract stuff from a "winmail.dat" ?

[...]

> Normaly 'tnef' works for 'mutt' with:
>
> application/ms-tnef;    tnef -w %s

That's what I use, too.

> application/ms-tnef;    tdfileview --collor %s; copiousoutput
>
> But tnef had never shown me resultats.
>
> So I assume, that M$ had changed something to prevent extraction
> of data from the "winmail.dat" from other OS as Wxxxxxx.

I have a note about this on my web page:

    When you open a TNEF attachment from mutt's attachments menu, if
    the attachment contains only RTF enhancements to the text
    message, nothing will happen.

I don't remember if I determined that empirically or by reading it
somewhere.  I have not looked at the tnef source (1.2.1) to see what
it does for sure.

> I have a small example attached.

This looks like it contains only one file, part of the text of an
e-mail message, so it may consist only of RTF enhancements to the
message to which it was attached.

I don't receive many tnef attachments, so I don't have any recent
examples of tnef attachments that actually contain anything other
than RTF enhancements.  Consequently, I can't test whether the tnef
program still works with the current version of MS
application/ms-tnef attachments.

Regards,
Gary

--
Gary Johnson                               | Agilent Technologies
garyjohn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx                   | Wireless Division