Re: mutt on an xterm with more colors?

On Thu, Nov 11, 2004 at 05:37:12AM -0500, Thomas Dickey wrote:

> > > I don't know: some months ago I saw some reference to possibly slang doing
> > > 256 colors, but on investigation found that it wasn't doing that -
[...]
> combinations or distinct colors?  Anyway, ncurses could (at this moment)
> give any selection of 256 combinations from the colors supported (ymmv).

Until very recently I've been a die-hard user of slang, and for the past
5-6 years I've modified my terminal description to "colors#16, pairs#256".
How it affects Lynx and Mutt is not that I get more colors, but that the
colors are MUCH more subtle (rich?).  Exactly as in the above screen-shot,
gray is a non-glare, mouse-fur gray, and green is similarly a pleasing
light green.  With the default "colors#8, pairs#64", you get the standard
garish colors that drove me batty with MS-DOS.  I've never been bold
enough to try "colors#256, pairs#65536", but I think it's worth a try
after looking at that screenshot!

BTW, I use a terminal emulator on WindowsXP -- which means if you can
successfully trick the application into thinking you're on an xterm, you
pretty much get the same result.

$0.02

--
henry nelson