Re: mutt and abook - selecting more recipients

On Fri, Nov 05, 2004 at 02:19:53AM +0100, sigi wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 04, 2004 at 01:53:07PM -0800, Gary Johnson wrote:
> > On 2004-11-04, sigi <dugongs@xxxxxx> wrote:
> > > hi,
> > >
> > > got this possibility with the query command in mutt...
> > >
> > > but now another question on this topic:
> > > this query-command only seems to work _before_ composing a message.
> > > what'd I have to do, if I want to forward a message from my inbox to
> > > several recipients?
> > > Is there any solution like 'query' for this?
> >
> > You can also invoke your query program by typing Ctrl-T at the "To:"
> > prompt, optionally preceded by the name you are searching for.  Look
> > in the mutt manual for the section on "External Address Queries".
>
> thanks a lot! typing Ctrl-T when the 'To:'-field appears works fine...
> the solution I was searching for.

FWIW, an alternative is to import aliases from abook when you
start up mutt; I find using the alias expansion easier than the
query command hook.  If you stay in mutt I suppose that's not as
practical, but I jump in and out of mutt a lot so it works for me.

e.g., in the .muttrc:

    source      ~/Bin/muttab|

and ~/Bin/muttab has:

    #!/bin/sh
    #  Convert abook addresses to mutt alias commands

    abook --convert --informat abook --outformat mutt < ~/.abook/addressbook

(I'm sure one doesn't need a shell script for this, it's just an
organizational style.)

mm