Re: Screwball characters

 On Sunday, October 31, 2004 at 8:06:32 AM +0900, Henry Nelson wrote:

> I recently changed to PuTTY (as you know :). Supposedly, it is a UTF-8
> terminal emulator, BUT I don't have a fixed-width UTF-8 font that
> PuTTY can use on the WinXP machine I run it from.

    For PuTTY, all and every fixed-width font is an Unicode font usable
in UTF-8 mode. Of course, this doesn't mean all fonts have all glyphs.

    I mean even the basic 6 Ko vgaoem.fon (terminal) font, which is
(here) a CP-850 font, is usable in PuTTY UTF-8. Very limited number of
glyphs, mostly triangular replacement chars, but usable in PuTTY. Well
usable for latin languages, but might perhaps be a little bit suboptimal
for Japanese...

    In practice the "script" setting of font selector doesn't matter,
you select charset thru "Character set translation on received data".

> Even if by some miracle I finally get UTF-8 working, aren't I still
> stuck with "MS Gothic" and its limited set of double-width glyphs?

    Well, yes. AFAICS "MS Gothic" covers most of Japanese, Cyrillic, and
western glyphs, but lacks say Korean Hangul chars. I still switch fonts:
Using daily Lucida Console or Courrier New for French, switching to
Mincho or Gothic for Japanese. If you find THE font with ALL glyphs,
please inform us. ;-)

    You should be able to use UTF-8 from Mutt as soon as you get an
adapted UTF-8 locale for NetBSD. And get the best possible out of any
given font. The best, but no more (unless ugly drawn).

Bye!    Alain.
--
What fixed spacing Unicode font do you PuTTY users use to get the most glyphs
displayable? I use OpenType "Lucida Console 1.60" and get everything for all