Screwball characters

Hello, all.

I have intermittent troubles with characters not rendering properly.
Very common examples include em-dashes rendering as "?" and a bunch of
characters that show up in the format "\22x".

Please, no RTFMs--I have read the sections on the various charset and
locale variables at least three or four times, and I find them opaque.

Doubtless, this problem results because my understanding of the
underlying OS environment variables is unsound.  Is there a
quick-n-dirty explanation of all these locale and charset issues, and
how they relate to Mutt, that could enlighten me?

Thanks,
Matt

--

Matthew M Davis