Re: Screwball characters

On Wednesday 27 October at  4:35pm, Alain Bench had this to say:

> > LANG=POSIX
>
>     Bad: All categories are default unset, which roughly means US-Ascii
> charset. Better export LANG to a value from "locale --all-locales"
> suitable for your language, country, and terminal's charset.

This is the kind of underlying environment variable stuff that I don't
get.  What's the best place to understand how I should be setting
locales to make things work all smooth-like?

> > [$charset] It's currently set to 8859-1.
>
>     Gentoo, half-recent Glibc? Drop $charset declaration.

howdja guess?  $charset is dropped, but I haven't noticed any changes
(which I guess is a Good Thing...)

--

Matthew M Davis
<mmd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>