Re: mutt and filtering

begin  quotation of Yaroslav Halchenko on 2004-10-25 16:33:13 -0400:

> That is correct but a perfect MUA should interface with that outside
> thing so the adjustments to the sorting policies could be made "online".

I disagree.  Any such interface would be complicated owing to
classification based on header and mailbox, or just open the mail
sorting file in an editor.  The filtering GUIs I have seen on other
mail clients leave a lot to be desired.

> For instnace if I define basic rules via reg expressions for my
> mailboxes but then I receive an email from a new friend and I need to
> place that email and all upcoming emails from him into Friends bin: MUA
> better interface with the "sorter". Then I will not need manually adjust
> the sorting rules.

A carefully crafted macro would do the trick.  I believe there are
macros (or scripts) out there to automatically add addresses to alias
files; if you are interested, it would probably be easy to adapt those
to a procmailrc.  However, unless you make new friends at a prodigous
rate, I doubt you would use that macro often enough to invest the
effort required to write it.

FWIW, I run mutt and emacs in a screen session.  Composing a message
or editing mail configuration is as simple as switching screens.