Re: Character Encodings and the "Currency Symbol"

On 13-09-2004, at 06h 28'24", Bill Moseley wrote about "Character Encodings and
the "Currency Symbol""
> Ok, this is a rather basic question:
>
> I received mail with US dollar amounts, but in place of a dollar sign
> ("$") they are using the currency symbol[1] (char octal 244 / decimal
> 164).

[...]
> My locale settings are en_US.  One odd thing is if I pipe the mail
> through to od -a, then od(1) displays a "$" symbol instead of the generic
> currency symbol.  less(1) or cat(1) on the other hand, displays the
> currency symbol character (kind of a 4-point star pattern).  I wonder
> why od(1) is substituting the "$" symbol for the currency symbol.

od -a convert my euro symbol also to dollar and é (e with acute) to i.
It is like odd takes away the 8th bit. That is why you get $ (dollar)
instead of ¤ (currency symbol in Latin1 and Latin2, euro in Latin9 and
Latin10).

Ionel